Product Design Intern in Span
Closed job - No longer receiving applicants
At Span, we believe in making positive change and creating beautiful products. Our team is leveraging experience across hardware, software, solar, storage, and consumer finance to develop products focused on enabling the rapid adoption of renewable energy.
The product team is currently working on two mobile apps that will allow users to control their home spaces and monitoring energy, and partners to install and update our hardware efficiently.
We are seeking an intern to join our product team dedicated mainly to our mobile applications. You will have the opportunity to be involved at every step of the product development process, from brainstorming broad ideas to ensuring design quality through launch. As a product design intern candidate, you’ll use your full range of skills from product design, interaction design, and visual design to build magical experiences.
- Conceptualize original ideas that bring simplicity and user-friendliness to complex design problems
- Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and site maps to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas
- Conduct user research and evaluate user feedback
- Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices, and standards
- Participate in the re-design of one of our mobile app features. Influence the shape of the product with research and data while executing design work using high-quality wireframes, mockups, user journeys, and interactive prototypes.
- Run UI overviews to find usability and consistency issues. Learn about brand guidelines and have the unique opportunity to innovate and generate changes that will be reflected across our platforms.
- Learn how to conduct research and create Personas to help us identify optimal user experience that will impact the everyday customer life.
8 weeks minimum between June and September.
International candidates are welcome!*
*At least 2 semesters at a post-secondary academic institution, OR be a recent graduate able to start an internship program within 12 months of graduation date
We are seeking a highly-skilled, thoughtful, and excited design intern to help execute against our product vision. You are a strong cross-functional partner, great communicator, you uphold a high-quality bar and have a strong appreciation for the details.
- Must include a link to a design portfolio
- Experience working in UX, UI, HCI related field
- Proficient with design tools (Sketch, Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)
- Excited about working in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment
- Demonstrated comfort with an iterative design process that includes accepting and acting on feedback and constructive criticism
- Experience working on mobile platforms
- Familiarity with creating interactive prototypes
- Background in motion design and related software
Life at Span
Span is a startup based in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco. We are a small, diverse team of creative thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
Impacting the future as a small, agile team means putting in a lot of hard work and elbow grease so we work to make sure you are happy, healthy, and look forward to coming to work. Working at Span, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation
- Sunny, airy office located close to public transportation BART and Caltrain
- Regular team lunches, brown bag learning opportunities and events
- Opportunity to influence our culture
Span embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Flexible hours Flexible schedule and freedom for attending family needs or personal errands.
Partially remote You can work from your home some days a week.
Health coverage Span pays or copays health insurance for employees.
Informal dress code No dress code is enforced.
Vacation over legal Span gives you paid vacations over the legal minimum.
Beverages and snacks Span offers beverages and snacks for free consumption.